Burak Bir
18 October 2023•Update: 18 October 2023
LONDON
Hundreds of people were killed "horrifically in a massive strike" on Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital in Gaza, the UN’s human rights chief said Tuesday, stressing it is "totally unacceptable."
In a written statement, Volker Turk noted that the most vulnerable were killed once again, including patients, healthcare workers and families that had been seeking refuge in and around the hospital.
"Hospitals are sacrosanct, and they must be protected at all cost," he said, adding the violence and killings "must stop at once."
He called on all parties to do everything to bring an end to this "horrendous situation."
"Civilians must be protected, and humanitarian aid must be allowed to reach those in need as a matter of urgency," Turk noted.
He added that the perpetrators must be held to account.
More than 500 people were killed in an Israeli airstrike on Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital on Tuesday, Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra told Anadolu.
Footage on social media showed corpses scattered across the hospital grounds.