World, Middle East

Car-bomb targets US military convoy in NW Syria

Daesh claims responsibility for attack, which leaves one US soldier injured and five YPG/PKK terrorists dead

Mahmoud Barakat   | 21.01.2019
Car-bomb targets US military convoy in NW Syria

By Selen Temizer and Mohamad Misto

Al-HASAKAH/ANKARA

The Daesh terrorist group has claimed responsibility for a car-bomb that targeted a U.S. military convoy in Syria's northwestern Al-Hasakah province on Monday.

The bomb went off as the convoy passed through a checkpoint run by the YPG/PKK terrorist group, local sources told Anadolu Agency earlier Monday. 

One U.S. soldier was injured and five YPG/PKK terrorists were killed by the blast, the same sources said. 

A U.S.-led coalition, established in 2015 to fight Daesh, has confirmed that no U.S. military personnel were killed in Monday’s attack. 

"We can confirm that a combined U.S. and Syrian partner force convoy was involved in an apparent VBIED [vehicle-borne improvised explosive device] attack today in Syria," the coalition said on its Twitter account. 

"There were no U.S. casualties,” it added. “We will continue to review the situation and provide updates." 

In its own online statement, Daesh appeared to claim responsibility for the attack, which, it said, had targeted a joint military convoy comprised of both U.S. troops and YPG/PKK elements in Al-Hasakah’s Shaddadi district.

Last week, four Americans, including two soldiers, were killed in an apparent suicide attack -- also claimed by Daesh -- in Syria’s northern city of Manbij.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın