A significant oil discovery at the Ballymore prospect in the deepwater U.S. Gulf of Mexico (GoM) was made, the U.S.’ energy company Chevron announced on Wednesday.
A sidetrack well is currently being drilled to further assess the discovery and begin to define development options, according to the company's statement.
The Ballymore well reached a measured depth of approximately nine kilometers and encountered about 205 meters of net oil pay with excellent reservoir and fluid characteristics.
“This discovery is an important addition to our portfolio, especially with its combination of size, quality and proximity to existing infrastructure,” President of Chevron North America Exploration and Production, Jeff Shellebarger said.
Chevron’s subsidiary Chevron U.S.A. is the operator with a 60 percent share in the Ballymore prospect, while the co-owner TOTAL E&P U.S.A holds the remaining 40 percent working interest.
Previously, French oil major Total announced on Sept. 22, 2017 that its subsidiary, TOTAL E&P U.S.A. signed an agreement with Chevron on exploration that aims to capture seven prospects operated by Chevron U.S.A. in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, covering 16 blocks.
Ballymore, the largest discovery of Total in the GoM, bolsters the company’s new exploration strategy put in place since 2015, according to Total’s statement.
By Firdevs Yuksel