Saadet Gokce
14 April 2026•Update: 14 April 2026
- South Korea dispatches envoys to Algeria, Libya, Middle East to secure oil supplies amid blockade of Strait of Hormuz
Pakistani Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar and EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas on Tuesday stressed diplomacy to end the US-Iran conflict as the 14-day ceasefire expires April 22.
Dar outlined developments in the Islamabad talks held over the weekend, while Kallas commended Pakistan’s constructive role in facilitating the direct negotiations, according to a statement.
"Both sides emphasized the need for continued dialogue and diplomacy for resolution of the conflict," the statement by Pakistan's Foreign Ministry said.
Dar also held a phone call with his Canadian counterpart, Anita Anand.
Anand commended Pakistan’s role in facilitating dialogue, while Dar stressed the importance of all parties adhering to the ceasefire and reaffirmed Pakistan’s commitment to supporting dialogue and diplomacy.
Washington and Tehran held talks -- the most significant since 1979 when they broke diplomatic ties -- in Pakistan's capital over the weekend, as part of broader efforts to end the US-Israeli offensive on Iran that has killed more than 3,300 people since Feb. 28, before a fragile two-week ceasefire was brokered last week.
The talks, however, remained inconclusive. The ceasefire was mediated and announced by Pakistan on April 8.
Later, US President Donald Trump announced a naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, which took effect at 1400GMT on Monday.
Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Monday said efforts are underway to "resolve pending issues" between the US and Iran.
Sources in the Pakistani government told Anadolu on Monday that the next round of "high-level" US-Iran talks will be held in Islamabad "very soon," without giving a specific date.
The source said Trump wants a deal with Iran finalized before his scheduled visit to China next month.
Since Iran began restricting access to the Strait of Hormuz -- through which about 20% of the world’s oil flows -- following the start of the US-Israeli war on Feb. 28, an energy crisis has emerged, driving up global prices.
Iran's control of the key waterway has affected energy supplies to most Asian nations.
To secure oil supplies, South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said on Tuesday that Seoul has dispatched envoys to Algeria and Libya and plans to send another envoy to the Republic of Congo to seek new supply routes amid the Middle East crisis.
Presidential Chief of Staff Kang Hoon-sik has also been dispatched to the Middle East as a special envoy, according to Yonhap News.
Cho said Chung Byung-ha, the special envoy to Iran, has been in contact with senior Iranian officials in Tehran to discuss regional developments, the safety of South Korean nationals, vessels and crew, and the passage of ships.