By Tufan Aktas
Two schools in Sudan linked to the Fetullah terrorist organization (FETO) will be taken over by a Turkish educational foundation in line with a protocol signed earlier between Khartoum and Ankara, a Turkish diplomat told Anadolu Agency on Thursday.
Turkish Ambassador to Sudan Cemalettin Aydin said the protocol had been signed with Sudanese authorities allowing for the transfer of the schools to Turkey’s Maarif (Education) Foundation.
Led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen, FETO is accused of orchestrating Turkey’s July 15 failed coup attempt.
It is also accused of pursuing a long-running campaign to overthrow the Turkish state by infiltrating vital Turkish institutions, including the military, police and judiciary.
This summer’s failed coup attempt left 248 martyrs in its wake and some 2,200 people injured.
According to Aydin, Sudanese efforts against FETO began before July 15, with local officials taking steps to hand over the administrations of FETO-linked schools in January of last year.
Aydin went on to say that, since Aug. 17 -- one month after the coup attempt -- Sudanese authorities had shut down several FETO-linked organizations in the country, including a language school, three cultural centers, a magazine and two student dormitories.
A large number of FETO members, he added, including school principals and teachers, had also been detained and asked to leave the country.
Since the July 15 coup attempt, Turkey has called on numerous countries to close FETO-linked schools, colleges and businesses operating on their territory.
Most recently, on Nov. 18, Turkey signed a protocol with Chad for the transfer of all FETO-linked schools in the country to Turkey’s Maarif Foundation.